It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Armando Garcia steps down as CSAC executive director
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 am 
Super Heavyweight

Armando Garcia has resigned as executive director of the California State Athletic Commission. Acceptance of Garcia's resignation is set as an agenda item at the next CSAC meeting, scheduled for Nov. 18 in Los Angeles.

The commission also will appoint an interim executive director and move to assemble a search committee for a permanent replacement at the meeting.

After a career as a boxing referee and judge, Garcia assumed the executive director position in 2005. During his tenure California transformed into a hotbed of professional MMA events, hosting major UFC, Strikeforce and EliteXC shows.

The commission also implemented stringent drug-testing procedures, which -- following a number of positive tests -- resulted in the suspensions of several high-profile fighters, including Royce Gracie, Sean Sherk, Phil Baroni and Antonio Silva.

During the Sherk case, questions were raised about the CSAC's oversight of drug-test samples. The former UFC lightweight champion, who maintained his innocence throughout the case, blasted the commission for what he believed were mistakes by the commission-appointed laboratory that compromised the integrity of his sample.

Since the Sherk case, the commission has made changes to its drug-testing program and now conducts analysis of drug tests in World Anti-Doping Agency-certified facilities only.

"I boxed him in the face, I gogoed him, put me in a magazine or somethin', FUCK!!" Nick Diaz